Friday the 20th of January 2017 was a big day in the United States. It was Inauguration Day, the first day on the job, for President Donald J. Trump.
This was the culmination of a controversial election that has had exhaustive, possibly record-breaking, media coverage. Many were celebrating, many were demonstrating, some are probably escaping the country right now and one man is on the hunt for a new job: now ex-President Barack Obama.
“I am still waiting for my job at Spotify”
When Obama met with the former US ambassador to Sweden at the White House, he jokingly said: “I am still waiting for my job at Spotify, ’cause I know y’all loved my playlist.”
The marketers at Spotify, who only recently struck gold with a hilarious user data fuelled outdoor campaign, weren’t going to let a once in a lifetime marketing opportunity like that slip through the cracks.
President of Playlists
So they huddled up, locked themselves in a war-room, pressed play on a playlist named ‘Power Recruitment Tunes’, turned it up to 11, tightened the leather neck straps on their tinfoil thinking caps and got busy. And what did they come up with?
The result: A job ad fit for a President
The team whipped up a smart job ad titled ‘President of Playlists’, which of course was subtly targeted at President Obama.
In the job ad skills and experience section Spotify listed:
- Have at least eight years experience running a highly-regarded nation
- Experience in programming playlists at a federal level (Obama is passionate about music and has been sharing his favorite tracks on Spotify playlists since 2015.)
- An ability to speak passionately about playlists at press events. Spotify underlines: ‘Let us be clear, you should be nothing short of one of the greatest speakers of all time.’
- Excellent work ethic, a friendly and warm attitude, and a Nobel Peace Prize
- Knowing famous artists is also a plus: ‘Ever had Kendrick Lamar play at your birthday bash? We’d love to hear about it!’
Know anyone that fits that profile?
Spotify also didn’t miss the opportunity to take a swing at Donald Trump:
- Must attend daily briefings and analyze playlist data… using all available intelligence sources
Spotify founder Daniel Ek tweeted Obama
The job ad was posted on Spotify.com’s career section and tweeted out by Spotify founder Daniel Ek using Obama’s Twitter handle:
Nicely done once again, Spotify and we truly hope you manage to hire your President of Playlists soon.
Would you like to learn how to write job adverts that deliver results? Check out our essential guide to a really great job advert!